Writer’s residencies and artists communities take many shapes. Visit Alliance of Artists Communities to find out more. Here is just a small selection of small or privately-owned places.
- Casa di Julie is a private residency in Vitiana, Italy, two hours west of Florence and one hour from the Mediterranean coast.
- The Wales House is the first and longest established guest house near the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.
- Ray’s Bucktown Bed and Breakfast is a unique B&B in the heart of Chicago’s Bucktown neighborhood that welcomes everyone, whether in town for work or play.
- New Pacific Studio offers residencies for artists, writers and environmentalists in the hermitage at NPS Mount Bruce, New Zealand and also at the Pacific Writers’ Cottage, Vallejo, California
- The Porches is a writing retreat on the James River in Virginia.
- The Key West Mango Tree House is a residency for cultural managers and innovative arts administrators that requires no work, no problem solving, no meetings or presentations, and no reporting of any kind.
- The National Park Service lists all residencies in US national parks.